Google Web History has been around for about a month now, and what a fantastic tool it is! Fantastic… until you start combing through your search history and realize you wish you didn’t make some of those search queries after all. Even more so, you wish Google didn’t catalog every move you made so that your significant other could use it for her personal viewing pleasure. But I guess we’d rather have Google catalog it instead of Big Brother… or is Google Big Brother? Just kiddin’!
I installed the Google Toolbar last month on one of my machines and didn’t realize that Google’s Web History was activated by default. Angel and I had fun (or not) looking through some of the search queries I made over this month-long period. I had a tough time explaining the motivation behind a few of them. 😉 Some were a little scary and others were downright hilarious, but one point became clear: If you’re not careful, Google will know every move you make on the web… the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Here are 7 Google searches that I made last month and wish I could take back:
- Funny/Scary – filetype:txt “windows XP” +cdkey – No Mr. Gates, it’s not what it looks like.
- Scary – My home address mapped out in several Google Maps driving direction queries. Well, now they know where I live… lets hope Bill can’t afford to buy Google.
- Funny – pamela anderson’s cup size – Honey, one of my coworkers must have typed that in when I wasn’t looking.
- Funny – hemroid symptoms – Google now knows more about my ass than I’m comfortable with.
- Scary – My full name – We all Google our own name right? So what if they have my name and address now.
- Funny – Kama Sutra – Yeah baby… I was just studying up for the big game!
- Funny – -inurl:(htm|html|php) intitle:”index of” +”last modified” +”parent directory” +description +size +(mpg|wmv) “paris hilton” – Oh, I’m a big fan of her music, so I was just looking for her latest music video… I swear.
When was the last time you checked your Google Web History track record?