The Blissful Art of Being and Breathing

Be and Breathe

We must not allow the clock and the calendar to blind us to the fact
that each moment of life is a miracle and a mystery.
– H. G. Wells

One warm evening nine years ago…

After spending nearly every waking minute with Angel for eight straight days, I knew that I had to tell her just one thing.  So late at night, just before she fell asleep, I whispered it in her ear.  She smiled… the kind of smile that makes me smile back.  And she said, “When I’m seventy-five, and I think about my life and what it was like to be young, I hope that I can remember this very moment.”

A few seconds later she closed her eyes and fell asleep.  The room was peaceful… almost silent.  All I could hear was the soft purr of her breathing.  I stayed awake thinking about the time we’d spent together and all the choices in our lives that made this moment possible.  And at some point, I realized that it didn’t matter what we’d done or where we’d gone.  Nor did the future hold any significance.

All that mattered was the serenity of the moment.

Just being with her and breathing with her.

Photo by: FotoRita

Comments

This post just made me feel relaxed and wonderful, all at the same time. We forget to enjoy the moment we are in, trying to get to point b. My wife is pregnant and just last night we just talked and made each other laugh for an hour. Next time I’m in that moment, I’ll be thinking about this post.

2. Letha W. says

The blissfull art of being and breathing is one of the most beautiful things (and thoughts) I have read in a long time.

Thank you.

3. Justin says

Fantastic point! I have found I am happiest in my relationship when I take a little time to really focus on my girlfriend. Finding those small things that when done at just the right time make our lives so much happier =]

Hi Marc,

You remind us that bliss and happiness can be found in the simplest and the most basic of things. Thanks so much for that.

And I guess we guys have a lot to learn from you cos’ you sound like a really romantic guy. I wonder if Angel would think so? :)

May you and Angel live in bliss forever.

Cheers~

Mark

I absolutely love it. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost two years now, and I know exactly what this kind of moment is. It’s moments like these that I live for.

Thank you for sharing this, it’s important to remember the moments and the now. Otherwise we get too preoccupied with the the past and future to enjoy our lives.

You’ve captured the essence of relationship, Marc. I’m a little closer to 75 than you are, and I hope I make it there, too.

Thanks for reminding us about what really is important!

G.

This is so great! I was pregnant and married my boyfriend at 17. We’ve been married 37 years! The line that strikes me is “all the choices in our lives that made this moment possible.” Rock on!

This post perfectly embodies your last guest post that talked about the notion of de-stressing by “being present”.. well done!

As blissfully described here, the past and future become irrelevant when you’re feeling the present, namely because the present is where the past and future meet.

People who stress about the past or future probably don’t have a very good life in the present. After all, you can’t have a good future if you don’t have a good present!

There are few things better than a lover to remind us of this simple fact of life. Since I don’t have one, thanks for sharing your good fortune Marc ^_^

Wow! I didn’t expect such a warm response to such a short, personal blog post. 😉

I’m glad so many of you found meaning in it. Thanks again for the feedback.

That is a pretty amazing moment captured in a couple of paragraphs that should inspire anyone that life needs to be more about simple pleasures.

Reading that reminds me of why I love my partner so much in good and bad times.

Thanks.

12. Gina A. says

I know the intensity of those moments, the moments that are so all-consuming they can sustain you forever yet so light and gentle you feel like you are floating not imprisoned. So wonderful to see someone else experiences those moments.

God! That was just beautiful. Albeit, it was so simply put it was profound and I wish I remember it for the rest of my remaining life with Ashima. We have now been married for 34 lovely years. Sure we have had pitfalls in our relationship but off late I find I remember the unsavoury parts less and the fun and caring moments more. And yes I too love to share the same air that she breathes. I hope this does not change till we say our final farewells. I also hope that we are able to make our sons to think and believe in a similar manner so that it enriches their lives and relationships as it did ours.
    Thank you Marc and Angel. Angel more so because I dont believe Marc would have been what he is without you in his life.
    Sunil

Its a simple, profound, true and a beautiful reminder to all of us who live in the past or the future that NOW is what really matters. If we take care of all the NOW moments the past and the future will automatically become worth remembering/looking forward to.
    Sunil

15. Niki says

This is beautiful… I hope one day the man of my dreams will make me as happy as you make your wife!

16. Chris C says

I, being 16, experienced for the first time the very moments this post captures. Today in fact. It was absolutely beautiful

17. Candice says

the difference between being alive and living life is knowing when to stop… and acknowledge the significance of the moment for what it is… no more and no less…

18. Karyna says

Hi, it’s my first time that i comment here. Sorry if my English is no so well, i discovery your site by my cousin who really love this website…
    Your histories are wonderful with a kind of magic and reality.

I loved this. I have been touched… This is real life, this is magic… this is love. Pure love. :)