What Life Is All About

What Life Is All About

Once upon a time, there was a girl who could do anything in the world she wanted.  All she had to do was choose something and focus.  So one day she sat down in front of a blank canvas and began to paint.  Every stroke was more perfect than the next, slowly and gracefully converging to build a flawless masterpiece.  And when she eventually finished painting, she stared proudly at her work and smiled.

It was obvious to the clouds and the stars, who were always watching over her, that she had a gift.  She was an artist.  And she knew it too.  She felt it in every fiber of her being.  But a few moments after she finished painting, she got anxious and quickly stood up.  Because she realized that while she had the ability to do anything in the world she wanted to do, she was simply spending her time moving paint around on a piece of canvas.

She felt like there was so much more in the world to see and do – so many options.  And if she ultimately decided to do something else with her life, then all the time she spent painting would be a waste.  So she glanced at her masterpiece one last time, and walked out the door into the moonlight.  And as she walked, she thought, and then she walked some more.

While she was walking, she didn’t notice the clouds and the stars in the sky who were trying to signal her, because she was preoccupied with an important decision she had to make.  She had to choose one thing to do out of all the possibilities in the world.  Should she practice medicine?  Or design buildings?  Or teach children?  She was utterly stumped.

Twenty-five years later, the girl began to cry.  Because she realized she had been walking for so long, and that over the years she had become so enamored by everything that she could do – the endless array of possibilities – that she hadn’t done anything meaningful at all.  And she learned, at last, that life isn’t about possibility – anything is possible.  Life is about making a decision – deciding to do something that moves you.

So the girl, who was no longer a girl, purchased some canvas and paint from a local craft store, drove to a nearby park, and began to paint.  One stroke gracefully led into the next just as it had so many moons ago.  And as she smiled, she continued painting through the day and into the night.  Because she had finally made a decision.  And there was still some time left to revel in the magic that life is all about.

Photo by: James Jordan

Comments

1. Mohammed says

Today I think I got the answer to the biggest question of my life, and the question is, What is life?
    Answer: Life is about defining a meaning to it.
    Explanation: In simple words it is all about defining the meaning of it and working towards it. All people must define life in their sense, like most of people define to themselves as having love, money, job and all that and they work towards to achieve (i.e. to be successful) what they think, they want. Some say it’s collecting worldly things, for others it is doing good for good deeds. For some (scientists) life is genetic material. The list goes on.
    Conclusion:Hey guys, life is short, find out what you want in life. That is what success means in your life. Define it and walk on the path to achieve the success.

2. fav4mizz says

wow! The story so motivating. i felt it deep within me. Thank you!!! Life is indeed all about making your own decisions. And a right one at that. The decision u make today determines your future tomorrow. Be wise!!!

3. Joshua Kings says

4. Ben says

An inspiring article. I’ve always been searching to understand what life is, but now I’ve learned that life is all YOU think it is.

5. Sharad Pant says

In search of question what is life? I got this story and really like one key message of the story that – life isn’t about possibility – anything is possible. Life is about making a decision – deciding to do something that moves you.

Mostly I have only thoughts, I not stress to realized, recognize and understand this thoughts in day to day rush hours. At last when I move back I realized that I did nothing, only I thought to do something but never taken action/ worked to bring it into existence.

Now after going through this story, I am writing down my thoughts on paper so that I can prepare some action plan to bring these thoughts into existence in a particular time period.

Thanks & Regards.

Sharad Pant
    INDIA

You can never be limited to the life that you live no matter what… you are what you choose and what you choose is what you live, you do not fail when you fall you fail when you refuse to stand once more… if there is life there is hope. thanks. from swanky w

7. Angel Nicely says

In times like this… yes one need to focus on one decision. This is really good. But this lady has a talent which she focused on, what about “if someone realizes that he/she has none”, what will the person focus on?. Please, in need an answer/answers..

8. Afolabi says

This story is really a wake up call. Something in me is telling me I have wasted much time, but now I am going to stand up and carry out the decision I know I need to make for my future. Thanks so much!

9. unknown says

Life is about making a decision – deciding to do something that moves you.

One of the best lines I have read from this post: “life is not about possibilities but making a decision.” Loved it… thanks…

10. Goldy says

Just beautiful.
    This story is so relevant to me, I’m an artist struggling to decide what to do with my life, now I know it’s been in front of me all along and I’ve just been wasting time!

11. Tawni Nguyen says

Thanks for posting this enchanting life’s lesson, Marc. There are people who must choose to set aside their dream careers to take on jobs out of nessecities, such as raising young children as single parents. However, if the dreams are nutured in their hearts, they will feel the callings at the appropriate time so that they can fulfill their destiny. Do not give up hopes!

12. Anon says

Life is about making a decision – deciding to do something that moves you.

That part of the article really inspires me. Thanks Marc.