10 Things to Tell Yourself Today

12 Things You Should Say Today

Count your blessings, not your troubles.  Live one day at a time.  Let the wrong things go.  Give more than you take.  Look for the good in people and situations.  Make time for those who matter.  Laugh when you can.  Cry when you need to.  Focus on your priorities.  Make decisions, not excuses.  And always stay true to your values.

Yes, today is the perfect day to stand up and say…

1. I am fighting hard for the things I want most. – The longer you have to wait for something, the more you will appreciate it when it finally arrives.  The harder you have to fight for something, the more it will be worth to you once you achieve it.  And the more pain you have to endure on your journey, the sweeter the arrival at your destination.  Most great things don’t come easy, but they are worth waiting for and fighting for.
  2. I am taking action now. – Many great things can be done in a day if you don’t always make that day tomorrow.  Don’t let your fear of making a mistake stop you.  A life spent making mistakes is not only more enjoyable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.  Read Getting Things Done.
  3. I am focusing on the next positive step. – A situation can occur in life that stops us dead in our tracks, frozen with fear.  We can either stay stuck in that place by continuing to give it our attention, or we can gently remove our attention from whatever is happening, and focus instead on our next step – on what is possible tomorrow.  Remember, the future holds nothing but endless potential.  There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  We just have to get there.
  4. I am proud to wear my truth. – How others see you is not important.  How you see yourself means everything.  To be beautiful means to live confidently in your own skin.  Say it, and then say it again: “This is my life, my choices, my mistakes, and my lessons.  Not yours.”
  5. I have a lot to smile about. – Happiness is not a result of getting something you don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what you do have.  You create happiness with your attitude, your behavior and your actions.  It is all up to you.  Read The Happiness Project.
  6. I am making the best of it. – Everything you go through grows you.  Sometimes you think doing something is a total waste of time, and then it ends up being one of the best things you ever did.  Don’t judge the day before it unfolds.  Amazing things can and do happen when you least expect them.  Let each day be a scavenger hunt in which you must find at least one of these things: a sincere laugh, an act of kindness, a realization, or a lesson that will lead you closer to your dreams.
  7. I am letting go of yesterday’s stress. – Sometimes the reason it’s so hard for us to be happy is simply because we refuse to let go of the things that make us upset.  As the sun sets on this day, let it go.  Leave behind the stress, the drama and the worries.  Lay this day to rest.  Tomorrow is about hope, new possibilities, and the opportunity to make a better day.
  8. There is enough time today to do something I love. – Where did you leave your happiness?  With an old lover?  In a city you once lived in?  In a story you never finished writing?  In a dream you gave up on?  In a hope you got too weary to carry?  Wherever you left it, go back and retrieve it.  If you don’t remember where you left it, dedicate a little time today to doing something you love to do, and you will find your happiness somewhere nearby.
  9. I am priceless in someone’s eyes. – Being with someone who overlooks your worth isn’t loyalty, it’s stupidity.  Don’t let the people who aren’t worth it get to you.  Focus on those who love and accept you for who you are, and shower them with the love and kindness they deserve.  And above all, cherish the people who saw you when you were invisible to everyone else.  Read The Mastery of Love.
  10. It’s not too late. – No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you’ve come from, you can always change and become a better version of yourself.  Peace, strength and direction will come to you when you manage to tune out the noisy judgments of others, in an effort to better hear the soft and steady hum of your own inner strength.  And once you hear it, you will realize that it’s not too late to be what you might have been.

Photo by: Darwin Bell

Comments

“Where did you leave your happiness? With an old lover? In city you once lived in? In a story you never finished writing? In a dream you gave up on? In a hope you got too weary to carry? Wherever you left it, go back and retrieve it. ”

This takes a lot of courage.

2. Jeniffer says

This blog just motivated me to take control of my life and move back to NYC. Where Ive left my life and happiness. God bless you guys!

3. Jim McCarthy says

I just started reading your stuff. Just two words: it is great! Well, maybe just three words. Keep it up.

4. Becki says

Today is the day I file for divorce. And you just nailed every single reason why.

Thank you for helping me to acknowledge and reaffirm my decision.

I’m going through a really difficult time at the moment and your blog has been very helpful and supportive. Just today, I was getting ready to have a confrontation with someone … instead I’ll read this 10 Things blog post and commit to being happy instead of angry. A big thank you to you both.

I love the idea that it’s never too late to become the best version of yourself. It took me 50 years to realize that life is not meant to be a competition with others. It’s really about constant, never ending improvement for myself. And even in that solo arena, I need to play nice.

Beautiful as always.
    Mind you, I would prefer to read a different wording than
    “I am fighting hard for the things I want most. ”

Indeed, the word fighting has such a negative connotation. When you fight, there is a winner and a loser and there are wounds.
    I do not think that this is your intention.

working instead of fighting ?

8. Aaron says

I agree Janet, 10 resonated with me too. The past is gone, it doesn’t have to linger in our thoughts, today is a new day and its another chance to be the best possible versions of ourselves,
    that’s today people, not tomorrow.
    Peace to you all and Happy Friday

9. Alex says

” Being with someone who overlooks your worth isn’t loyalty, it’s stupidity.”

Wow… sometimes a little tough love gets you right where you need it…

Thanks!

10. Rachael says

“I am priceless in someone’s eyes. – Being with someone who overlooks your worth isn’t loyalty, it’s stupidity. Don’t let the people who aren’t worth it get to you. Focus on those who love and accept you for who you are, and shower them with the love and kindness they deserve. And above all, cherish the people who saw you when you were invisible to everyone else.”

What to do when the person who overlooks your worth is actually your husband??

11. Mike says

Awesome blog Marc and angel. You both do a great job picking topics that others actually want to read and keeps us coming back for more.
    Numbers 8 & 10 resonate with me. ” There is enough time TODAY to do something you LOVE.” I like the do it today & do it now attitude, that is something I live by but sometimes need an extra push when daily life tries to bog me down. And “its NOT TOO LATE. You can always CHANGE and become a better version of yourself.” I once thought that an experience in my life changed me and THAT DAY I was different, but what I learned was that it took time to “become a better version of myself” and the EXPERIENCES I had over that time are what helped that process.
    Thanks so much Marc & Angel!

12. Gail says

Loved #10… It’s not too late. “You can always change and become a better version of yourself!” So true, we are always a work in progress!

I just love your site and look forward to your words of wisdom, always so insightful! Keep up the great work.

13. rhonda says

Rachael, I have been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost 38 yrs. I regularly have to tell him to up his game or get out. No one is going to advocate for you but you. Show him the quote and go from there.

14. diletta24 says

“Sometimes you think doing something is a total waste of time, and then it ends up being one of the best things you ever did”

It’s hard to keep believing in something you has given all your best self, time, stamina, fears, love.
    It’s what I am doing because I couldn’t do differently, but your words are an island of oxigen in this “now just wait” moment.

15. Maghfirah says

This is a God send to me…. thank you so much. I teared when I read all this. This is such a good advice for me since I want to get myself being positive again

This is a wonderful post.

It is a list of daily affirmations we could all benefit from reading each night before bed and each morning when we arise.

“Leave behind the stress, the drama and the worries. Lay this day to rest. Tomorrow is about hope, new possibilities, and the opportunity to make a better day.”
    There’s a thing called MOVING ON– I wish some people can hold on to this two words, feel free to do it and stop showing grand gesture of doucheality as triggered by the past that they can’t leave behind. Some people are just too stupidly crazy not to move along and continue living with yesterday’s pain.

18. Rob says

In regards to the very first paragraph. Remember that not all people have good in them, and if you have to search really hard to find it, move on. They are just not worth it (which ties in nicely with #9 above).

Normally in your list posts one or two things stand out to me the most. In this one none stand out, but that is because all are amazing and all seem equally relevant to me. Thank you!

20. Nitto says

Glad I read this post. The scavenger hunt is an interesting idea & when reading #9 (I’m priceless to someone), my mom instantly popped into my head …

Thank u, my life is changing, I’m learning to follow the lord and slow down, to enjoy the sweet things that life has to offer… it takes time but not impossible. Thank u for your inspiration

I absolutely loved every single point in here! I thought it was so very important to share, I reported it for my blog readers as well.

Thank you for your amazing work!

23. William says

Thank you so much for this. A friend I know has been trying to draw me into the middle of his very sick relationship problems and I decided this morning that I need to extricate myself. But of course my people-pleasing behaviour is fearful of his reaction. Points 2, 3 and 4 really helped to re-inforce in my mind that I am doing the right thing by removing myself — in particular “I am proud to wear my truth.” And in my case, the truth is that the new me doesn’t let others dictate how I feel about myself.