10 Actions that Always Bring Happiness

10 Actions that Always Bring Happiness

It’s important to make someone happy, and it’s important to start with yourself.  Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design into the present.

Starting today…

1. Appreciate what you have. – If we counted our blessings instead of our money, we would all be a lot richer.  Happiness is there if you want it to be.  You just have to see that it’s wrapped in beauty and hidden delicately between the seconds of your life.  If you never stop for a minute to notice, you might miss it.  Read The Happiness Project.
  2. Focus on things that truly matter. – The simple fact that you are even here, alive, on this planet is a divine miracle, and you should not spend the time you have being busy, being miserable.  Every moment you get is a gift, so stop focusing on unhappy things, and spend your moments on things that truly matter to your heart.
  3. Define your own meaning of life, and pursue it. – What is the meaning of life?  Whatever you want it to be.  Don’t fear failure; fear a lifetime of mediocrity due to lack of effort and commitment.  There are so many people out there who will tell you that you CAN’T.  What you need to do is turn around and say, “Watch me!
  4. Embrace life’s challenges. – You may think that taking a detour in life is a waste of time and energy, but you can also see the detour as a means of learning more about who you are and where you are heading in your life.  Being off the beaten path may be disorienting and confusing at times, yet it challenges your creative spirit to discover new ways to build a stronger YOU.  In the end, it’s usually the tough situations that feel like your tomb that actually become your cocoon.  Hang in there.  You’re coming out of this stronger and wiser.
  5. Find the balance that allows you to be who you truly are. – Your worst battle is between what you know and what you feel.  One of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make is when to stay put and try harder or when to just take your memories and move on.  Sometimes you have to step outside of the person you’ve been, and remember the person you were meant to be, the person you are capable of being, and the person you truly are.
  6. Love your body enough to take care of it. – You’re beautiful; but keep in mind that not everyone is going to see that.  Never be ashamed of yourself because you are born into one skin.  You can scar it, stretch it, burn it, mark it, tan it, and peel it.  But you are always in it, so you might as well take care of it and learn to love it.  Read The 4-Hour Body.
  7. Limit your time with negative people. – You can’t make positive choices for the rest of your life without an environment that makes those choices easy, natural, and enjoyable.  So protect your spirit and potential from contamination by limiting your time with negative people.
  8. Treat others the way you want to be treated. – Be conscious of your attitude and your actions.  You may be on top of the world right now – feeling untouchable.  You may have all the tools at your disposal to do and say whatever you want.  But remember, life is a circle – what goes around, comes around eventually.
  9. Set a good example. – If you want to empower others in your life, you need to start living the most empowered version of yourself first.  You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.  Believe in what you want so much that it has no choice but to become your reality.  And don’t ever compare yourself to anyone else; stay focused on your own journey and leave footprints behind.  Read The Four Agreements.
  10. Accept what is, and live for the possibilities that lie ahead. – Never waste your time wondering about what might have been.  Get busy thinking about what still might be, and trusting that however it plays out, it will leave you glad that what might have been, never came to be.

Photo by: Annais Ferreira

Comments

1. Dan Goldberg says

I enjoyed every anecdote here, but #4 WOWed me. Thank you for the soothing words.

Peace and love my friends.

2. Kat says

Nailed it.
    This is exactly what I needed right now. Thanks so much for these perfectly timed posts. Definitely helps me through some rough patches :)

3. Gail says

I agree with every word Lydna said, your site has helped me so much to be focused on what truly matters, love #1 & #10.

I always feel so much better after reading your pearls of wisdom! thank you.

4. Shane says

Working in psych it is difficult for me to limit my time with negative people, patients with personality disorders and other taxing challenges are part of my life, your website helps me stay true to me and keep my boundaries to negativity strong. Thank you.

5. Leah says

I love coming here and reading these tidbits of wisdom. They remind me of the truth—giving me something to hold onto as I move throughout my busy day. Thanks;)

6. Susan says

Thank you so much for this wonderful post.
    It is really in the right time, as I feel so sad in this period. Your essay gives me a strong beam of brightness and hope.

These are great tips, especially Point #7, “Limit your time with negative people.” I’m curious to know what advice you’d give to people who live with negative people such as mom, dad, brother, sister, grandparent, husband, wife, etc.?

8. Latania says

Sometimes what we think we wish for doesn’t work out…the universe has a bigger plan for us. The universe knows that what we wish for is not right for us and something else that we may not be aware of yet, is. Focus on the future as that is what you will get. And you get what you focus on! :-)

It’s so easy to forget that what we “put out there” is what comes back to us. Our surroundings are a mirror or reflection of what is inside us and flowing out of us.

Amandah talked about family members who are negative – and about limiting time with them. Sometimes it’s necessary. What I’ve found though, is that simply giving them love and having no judgment about their actions or words helps tremendously.

Our reactions to negativity is what affects us more than their actions. I hope that helps. It’s taken me a lot of awareness and practice to drop the judgment!

Thanks so much again Marc and Angel, i love this “Embrace life’s challenges”

Sure, if you are always afraid to fall you cant learn how to fly.

Some times taking a calculated intelligent risk is what we may need to get to the other cycle of life fortunes

You never fail to inspire.

I never leave your site and your posts without taking something with me:

“Sometimes you have to step outside of the person you’ve been, and remember the person you were meant to be, the person you are capable of being, and the person you truly are.”

This quote grabbed me by the collar and led me from your Facebook page to here.

12. Bee True says

Inspired! Thank you for sharing. The most important thing to me is applying the positive in my life for peace and a better outcome in my life. Thank you!!

Great post. I agree with all the points made. And, I’d like to add another :)

13. Gratitude
    Genuinely feel gratitude for all that you have in your life. Let the feelings resonate with you as you focus on them in your mind and you’ll instantly feel better.

Happiness is wanting what we already have.

14. Betty says

Thank you my sweet friend Philip for sending this to my e mail. It is so refreshing and soo true. By living by these suggestions life will be so much better.

15. Eileen Conrod says

this is the first time I went on this site. i enjoy it very much. there are lots of good things on line, all you have to do is look for it .

thanks for the valuable motivation.

16. Ravi Malhan says

Hi Guys
    This is simply one of the most brilliant pieces of writing I’ve read in awhile. Today happens to be my birthday and I feel as if you have gifted me a life changing template.

Thanks and lots of love for this.

Often I am told “timing” is everything. Well today that completely rang true! I really needed these words! Thanks!