post written by: Marc Chernoff
10 Things I Dare You To Do Today
What you do every day is already important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. But today, I dare you to take it up a notch, pump some extra life into every hour, and really make your time count.
Today, I dare you to…
- Make someone else smile. – Ordinary people worry today and postpone their happiness for tomorrow. Intelligent people are happy today and postpone their worries for tomorrow. Wise people only wish happiness for all, today and tomorrow. If you wish to have a lifetime of happiness, dedicate time every day to helping others smile with complete sincerity and enthusiasm.
- Be imperfect. – Something that is really difficult, but totally worth it, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the journey of becoming your true self. The most beautiful part of this journey is simply returning to the peaceful feeling of being. This peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.
- Be enthusiastic about what you’re doing. – You’re not given a good life or a bad life. You’re given life, and it’s up to you to make it good or bad. So wake up and get motivated; not everybody made it to today. Don’t take your time for granted. Don’t waste time thinking back to what you could have done differently yesterday. Keep your eyes on the road ahead and do it differently today. Wherever the road takes you, bring your passion. Whatever you do along the way, do it with all your heart.
- Make the best of what happens. – More important than what happens to you, is what you make of what happens to you. The more thankful you are, the more beautiful this world appears. You must uncover the good in the bad, the happy in your sad, the gain in your pain, and what makes you grateful not hateful. Read Stumbling on Happiness.
- Forgive your past self. – Sometimes, good people like you make bad choices. It doesn’t mean you’re bad; it means you’re human. So get bored with your past; it’s over. Forgive yourself for what you think you did or didn’t do, and focus on what you will do starting now.
- Spend some time simply being and breathing. – The only way to live happily ever after is one day at a time. Just be, breathe, and think not about what you’re missing, but what you’ve been given. Happiness is something that comes into our lives gradually through the doors we don’t even remember leaving open. Read The Power of Now.
- Learn something new. – It’s important to remember that you cannot become who you are capable of being by remaining exactly where you are. If you are not willing to learn and grow, no one can help you. But if you are determined to learn and grow, no one can stop you. In the end, there are no permanent jobs on this planet; we are all interning here. Learn from everyone, evolve, remain humble, and don’t forget to have a good time.
- Look in the mirror, and tell yourself what you love about yourself. – What we see in the mirror is what we see in the world. Our disappointment in others perfectly reflects our disappointment in ourselves. Our acceptance of others perfectly reflects our acceptance of ourselves. Our ability to see potential in others perfectly reflects our ability to see potential in ourselves. Our patience with others perfectly reflects our patience with ourselves. You get the idea – you’ve got to show yourself some love first.
- Focus on the qualities you like about those around you. – Whenever we focus on a person’s wonderful qualities, we have a wonderful relationship with them. Whenever we focus on a person’s not so wonderful qualities, we have a not so wonderful relationship with them. What we focus on grows in our minds and hearts. Read The Charisma Myth.
- Say “yes” to a spontaneous opportunity. – Everything in life can’t be planned. Some of the greatest opportunities will knock on your door when you least expect them to. Be flexible, be spontaneous, and just say “yes.”
Photo by: Stuart Anthony