You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must
plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Follow in the footsteps of a winner. Don’t wake up at seventy-five years of age, sighing over what you should have tried. Just do it, and be willing to fail and learn along the way. At least you will know you gave it your best shot.
At the end of the day, whether you choose to go with it, flow with it, resist it, change it, or hide from it, life goes on. If what you did today didn’t turn out as you hoped, tomorrow is a new opportunity to do it differently, or to do nothing at all. What’s important is to realize that you have a choice.
Here are 12 choices winners make every day:
- They don’t give up on the things they believe in. – If J.K. Rowling stopped after being turned down by multiple publishers for years, there would be no Harry Potter. If Howard Schultz gave up after being turned down by banks 200+ times, there would be no Starbucks. If Walt Disney quit too soon after his theme park concept was trashed by 300+ investors, there would be no Disney. One thing for sure: If you give up on your dreams too soon, you will miss out on seeing them become a reality. Read Quitter.
- They work with, and spend time with, the right people. – A day spent with the right people is always a day spent well. Sometimes the most ordinary ideas and projects can be made extraordinary, simply by discussing them and doing them with the right people.
- They concentrate on the present. – Remember, you can’t reach what’s in front of you until you let go of what’s behind you. Today is a new day. Don’t let your history interfere with your destiny. It doesn’t matter what you did or where you were; it matters where you are and what you’re doing now. Never give up on yourself, and never abandon your values and dreams. As long as you feel pain, you’re still alive. As long as you make mistakes, you’re still human. And as long as you keep trying, there’s still hope.
- They maintain a positive attitude. – Only you can change your life, no one can do it for you. Happiness always comes from within, and it’s found in the present moment by making peace with the past and looking forward to the future. Each morning when you open your eyes, think only three things first: Thank you, thank you, and thank you. Then set out to make the best use of the gift of this day that you can.
- They endure the pain. – Maybe there’s something you’re afraid to say, or someone you’re afraid to love, or somewhere you’re afraid to go. Maybe it’s going to hurt. Maybe it’s going to hurt because it matters, and because it expands your horizons. Remember, pain isn’t always a bad thing; sometimes it’s just another step toward personal growth. Read The Road Less Traveled.
- They ignore the naysayers. – Unless someone has walked in your shoes on the same path that you have traveled, and lived through all of your ups and downs alongside you, they have no right to judge you. Unless they can look into the core of your heart and see the degree of your passion, or look into the depths of your soul and see the extent of your will, then they have no business telling you who you are or what you can or can’t achieve. Everyone has a story. Everyone has unique gifts. Unless that someone is YOU, their opinion of you means nothing in the long run.
- They live through love. – Every human thought, word, or deed is based on fear or love. Fear is the energy which contracts, closes down, draws in, hides, hoards, and harms. Love is the energy which expands, opens up, sends out, reveals, shares, and heals. The only question is: What choice will you make today?
- They accept 100% responsibility for their current situation. – The next five years can be the best five years of your life, or just another five years. The decision is yours. The best part of your life will start on the day you decide your life is your own – no one to lean on, rely on, or blame. It takes courage and strength, but you need to say it: “The gift of life is mine, it is an amazing journey, and I alone am responsible for the quality of it.”
- They take action and plant the right seeds. – Many great things can be done in a day if you don’t always make that day tomorrow. Take positive action and plant the right seeds in your life right now. Nature herself does not distinguish between what seeds she receives. She grows whatever seeds are planted; this is the way life works. Be mindful of the seeds you plant today, as they will become the crop you harvest in the future.
- They don’t lose themselves in the commotion. – There are two things you shouldn’t waste your time on: things that don’t matter and people who don’t think you matter. Remember, sometimes in the midst of all the commotion and negativity swirling around, life will force you to make a choice between losing yourself and losing someone or something else. Regardless of the situation, don’t lose yourself. Stay true to your path and keep moving forward.
- They appreciate what they have. – Sometimes people throw away something good for something better, only to find out later that good was actually good enough and better never even came close. Stop long enough to appreciate things. When you appreciate what you have, what you have appreciates in value. When you truly appreciate your life, you’ll find that you have more of it to live. Read The Happiness Project.
- They make a positive difference. – Let a person’s character be their currency and you will sadly find that a lot of rich people are actually bankrupt. Being the richest man or woman in the cemetery doesn’t matter; going to bed every night knowing that you’re making a positive deference in the world is what matters.
Photo by: Las
Hi, Marc and Angel!
I’m a huge fan of yours from Canada… and one of the 1058 who’ve made it to the second round of astronaut selection for the Mars One Mission! I think we’ll need a little spiritual guidance on Mars. I’m looking forward to taking some of your wisdom with me. 😉
Wondering if this post is in your book… I’ve been looking for it, but can’t seem to find it. Would love it if you could please let me know.
In the meantime, please keep up the wonderful work! You were born to inspire <3
Marc Chernoff says
Thanks so much for the kind words. “12 Choices Winners Make Every Day” is in the book in the Productivity chapter. Page 199 in the eBook and page 206 in the paperback.
Thank you so much for supporting our work.
And good luck with the Mars training. Sounds amazing!