People and circumstances will occasionally break you down. But if you keep your mind focused, your heart open to possibility, and continue to put one foot in front of the other, you will be able to quickly recover the pieces, rebuild, and come back much stronger than you ever would have been otherwise.
Here are a few happy thoughts to ponder on those days when the whole world seems like it’s crashing down around you.
- Down days are completely normal, and not something you should feel guilty about having. Happiness is never constant. Surrendering to your sadness, or whatever negative emotion is trying to come to the surface, does not make you a bad person. But remember, if you aren’t sincerely thankful for every smile, don’t be totally shocked by every tear. Keep things in perspective. Read Happiness Is a Serious Problem.
- When you are at your lowest point, you are open to the greatest positive change. Happiness is not the absence of problems, but the strength to deal with them. Strength doesn’t come from what you can do; it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t do.
- There is a huge difference between giving up and moving on. Moving on doesn’t mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are some things that cannot be. Moving on can mean that you’re making a choice to be happy rather than hurt. For some folks, good situations last a lifetime, but for many, not knowing when to move on can hold them back forever.
- Life rarely turns out exactly the way you want it to, but you still have an opportunity to make it great. You have to do what you can, with what you have, exactly where you are. It won’t always be easy, but it will be worth it in the end. Remember that there is no perfect life, just perfect moments. And it’s these moments you must cherish; it’s these moments that make the whole journey worthwhile.
- Most people ask for happiness on condition, but long-term happiness can only be felt if you don’t set conditions. Accept life unconditionally. Realize that life balances itself between the ideal and the disappointing. And the disappointments are just life’s way of saying, “I’ve got something better for you right around the corner.” So be patient, live life, accept what is, and have a little faith.
- Too often, we carry around things from our past that hurt us – regrets, shame, anger, pain, etc. Don’t let these negative points from the past rob your present happiness. You had to live though these things in the past, and although unfortunate, they can’t be changed. But if the only place they live today is in your mind, then let go, move on, and be happy. Read Change Your Thoughts – Change Your Life.
- You can choose to view things differently. Pick one part of your life that you are unhappy with and look at it from a different point of view. See the rain as nourishment for future growth. Consider being alone for awhile to create the solitude you need to hear your inner voice. Think of your lack of funds as an opportunity to experience the simple things in life. Right now, you can choose to allow the light to shine in your life. It is a choice. Why not allow it?
- Once you embrace unpleasant news, not as a negative but as evidence of a need for positive change, you’re learning from it and growing. Whatever life throws at you, even if it hurts, be strong and fight through it. Remember, strong walls shake but never collapse. Life always offers you another chance – it’s called tomorrow.
- When your flaws are stitched together with good intentions, your flaws make you beautiful. It’s better to be true to yourself and risk being ridiculed by others, than to be false, and miss out on the beauty of being YOU. Never be bullied into silence. Never let someone else tell you who you are. Accept no one’s definition of your life, except your own.
- You have the ability to heal yourself. Just like lava flowing slowly out of a volcano, you must create a healthy outlet for your pain and anger. It’s important after you’ve been hurt to take some time to think about your pain, and address it calmly and consciously, so you can thwart the possibility of more pain brewing from your own negativity.
- There’s a lot of life left to be lived. The real tragedy in life is not death, but the passion we let die inside of us while we still live. Remember, troubles from the past cannot define you, destroy you, or defeat you all by themselves. As long as you keep pushing forward, they can only strengthen you. Read You Can Heal Your Life.
- You are a work in progress; which means you get there a little at a time, not all at once. Today is a brand new day – a fresh start. Replace negativity with positivity. Think happy thoughts. Exercise. Drink lots of water. Fill your body with fuel. Healthy is happy. Inspire yourself. Create. Laugh. Play. Love. Learn. Give someone a compliment. Perform a random act of kindness. Take a chance on an idea you believe in. You have the opportunity to do these things every single day – to make the necessary changes and slowly become the person you want to be. You just have to decide to do it. Decide that today is the day. Say it: “This is going to be my day!”
Photo by: Jon McGovern
Wow, you really know what to say and when to say it! Been feeling a bit down today and this helps. Thank You!
Debbie H. says
#2 and #9… flawlessly said. Love it!
Two words: THANK YOU!
#4 Really hits home. I definitely feel this way;
“Remember that there is no perfect life, just perfect moments. And it’s these moments you must cherish; it’s these moments that make the whole journey worthwhile.”
That’s what life is. You will always have ups and downs, but you will also always have the moments you cherish!
Andy Ehrensberger says
Really inspiring post! What I like about your suggestions is that they are generally applicable to many different types of situations.
Thank you, that’s all I needed to get back up this morning.
Vergielyn Cubol says
1-12, all are helpful! Each point is wonderful, by itself and together.
2, 9 and 10 really open my eyes. I’ve been out of sorts, feeling like I’m trapped and lost all at the same time. This post made me feel a little better. Thank you!
Needed this today! Thank you.
Thank you for your posts. They are giving me the strength to get through a very difficult time.
I echo Jill’s thought. Thank you.
Awesome post!!! I was really down today. Your post helped me see the positive side of things this morning. Thanks a lot!
thank you! this helps me through a tough patch and it gives me hope that its all ok…
thank you for your acts of kindness through words
Such a nice Friday read….
You inspire me every single day I read one of your articles! I’m so so so so so so grateful for your blog… it just keeps pushing me forward. Thank you! :)))
Just wanted to say Thank you…your words help me tremendously. I struggle some days & it passes & I keep tying to move forward!
I like this, but I am curious how the death or passing of a loved one fits into this, or does it?
I stumbled on your website months back… and I’ve been a faithful reader ever since.
Life isn’t fair at times… tough even, but there is beauty in it if you choose to see it.
Thanks for the inspiring words…
Nice point about letting go of the past that no longer serves us. This is important for growth. Thank you.
Thank you so much!
Your words have made my day!
I think number 1 is so spot on… and number 9, well that makes this lady feel much better.
Keep posting positive thoughts! Thank you!
I so needed #8 today. Thank you.
I have to say, as a writer, I found a special comfort in the line you wrote on #7: See the rain as nourishment for future growth. Such wonderful advice written in such a beautiful sentiment. 🙂 Thank you.
I wish you two were my friends in real life. Inspiring!
Thanks, your wisdom is so helpful, and very insightful. You seem to be speaking to me against my present anger and feelings for revenge. I needed this. Nice one.
You know what, the latter half of last year was the most testing time of my life by a country mile. Some things had totally gone not contrary to my expectations and my plans and I completely lost it. The worst part is that this period just followed the the best time of my life when I felt my absolute best which only made it worse as I remember asking myself constantly why I was so miserable after being so alive and happy and vibrant only a few months before. That is when I stumbled to this site after someone shared one article on facebook and after meditating on some articles here things began to change for me and got me towards the path to healing. I am again happy and bubbly and I can safely say that this site changed my life thanks to great articles like this. Thanks.
A little long comment I know, but I had to share that.
~ You can’t value anything, until you know your own worth. ~ B.L. Blain
Wow! All I can say is thank you!
Jonathan Look, Jr. says
“There is a huge difference between giving up and moving on.” – Excellent!
Many thanks for all the very thoughtful articles. Love them all.
Would be great if this website can be mobile device friendly. Understand that some easy plug-in at the website can make this possible. Helps to save bandwidth and battery life, when I want to view the pages while on the move.
Wow….”Never be bullied into silence.” Convicted of that one. But no more.
Thank you for constantly reminding me to be strong through the dark moments of my life. Your words have been extremely encouraging and hopeful.
The worst feeling one could ever experience is probably hopelessness. I hope to one day find my peace of mind. Cheers.
THANK YOU! My neighbor of 16-years just committed suicide yesterday, I’m having emotional difficulties with my teenage daughter and my mother was admitted to a home because she is getting senile. I was feeling very sad and sorry for myself. Your thoughts have helped A LOT! Thanks so much!
Two words : NO WORDS
Thank you very much. You have really inspired me.
“When you are at your lowest point, you are open to the greatest positive change.”
and what a great change it was, totally worth it.
Thank you for this post.
I keep re-reading it. I am going through a difficult time, and honestly all 12 points really help. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
this gave me something to think about on the way to work. thanks! 🙂
john mwas says
So glad I found you site and this article. What a GIANT plus!!!
Thanks alot! You are truely blessed.
I Martin says
Just the dose of clarity of thought I needed! God bless you and thanks! It’s on my Bookmarks bar to read frequently. 🙂
Thanks you for making this. I’ve been pretty down and out and I’ve been working on ways to feel happy. I found this helpful! I make experimental music and I’m going to use your helpful thoughts here to help me create something as free and wild as I can. For a long time I’ve felt bad about this because, no one likes it! (except me and maybe people I don’t know yet) Anyways, I’m not going to be apologetic about my tendency to be obtuse nor will I try to create things that I think people will like but isn’t who I really am. Thanks again.
Awesome post! Thank you.
Wow your thinking towards life is great.. Thank you for realising me the true meaning of life.. It made my day. Thank you so much 🙂