“What day is it?” asked Pooh.
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh.
When you first awake, be mindful and take a second to think about what a privilege it is to simply be alive and relatively healthy. Breathe onto the bathroom mirror just to see how amazing your breath looks. The moment you start acting like life is a blessing, I assure you it will start to feel like one. And when you start the day in a mindful state like this, it’s easier to focus more effectively on what matters most.
If you’d like to practice starting your mornings more mindfully in the year ahead, below you will find 52 good morning quotes – one for each week of the year. I choose one of these quotes every Sunday morning and sit quietly for two minutes, repeating it silently in my mind as if I were meditating. I also write it on a post-it note and stick it next to my computer monitor for the duration of the week. This weekly ritual has helped reduce unnecessary stress in my life by reminding me to keep things simple, peaceful, and in perspective. Perhaps this practice can add value to your life, too, in the year ahead. (And keep in mind that you can start this practice anytime you want – it doesn’t have to be January 1.)
- The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. When you forget, begin again.
- If you worry too much about what might be, and wonder too long about what might have been, you will ignore and completely miss what is.
- You don’t know what the future will bring. So your best strategy for living is to make the best and most positive use of the present.
- Two things, more than anything else, define you daily: Your patience when you are struggling, and your attitude when you are not.
- Patience is not about waiting – it’s the ability to keep a positive attitude while working hard for what you believe in.
- It’s not selfish to enjoy life. What’s selfish is to insist on being negative despite all the positive possibilities available to you.
- Before you waste it on anger, resentment, spite or envy, think of how precious and irreplaceable your time is today. Positivity always pays!
- You may be exhausted. You may be discouraged. You may feel uncomfortable. No matter what, your best option is to move positively forward.
- Those times when you don’t feel like being positive are the times when choosing to be positive makes the biggest difference.
- It’s impossible to accomplish what you assume you cannot do. Be careful not to become a prisoner of your own assumptions.
- If you truly wish to improve your self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-worth, stop allowing other people to be responsible for them.
- Your track record for getting through hard days is 100% so far.
- When you fail to get what you want, consider that it just might be a blessing in disguise, enabling you to have something even better, soon.
- Use your struggles and frustrations today to motivate you rather than annoy you. You are in control of the way you look at life.
- What may seem like a setback is really an opportunity for you to learn something new, and develop a more effective, more realistic strategy.
- Again and again, remind yourself why. With a strong enough reason why, you’ll be able to do what’s required at any time and in any circumstance.
- Be determined and ambitious, but not out of a desperate sense of need – do it out of a love for the possibilities. Enjoy your journey!
- Do your thing with passion and integrity even if folks don’t notice you. We do what we do not for an applause, but because we know it’s right.
- If the grass looks greener on the other side… Stop staring. Stop comparing. Stop complaining and start watering the grass you’re standing on.
- When you are lost in worry, it is easy to mistake your worries for reality, instead of recognizing that they are just thoughts.
- Whatever your challenge is, worrying about it won’t help. Either do something to address it or do something to let it go.
- Unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you accept that it’s over, you cannot move forward.
- Most people make themselves unhappy simply by finding it impossible to accept life just as it is presenting itself right now.
- You can’t calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself, and the storm will pass.
- Nothing is permanent. When you understand this, you can do almost anything you wish because you’re not trying to hold onto anything anymore.
- The most powerful changes happen when you take control of what you do have power over, instead of craving control over everything you don’t. (Read The Untethered Soul.)
- Too often we see ourselves as the victim, rather than the creator, of our present situation. This is why our life is so difficult to change.
- When you are no longer able to change a situation, you are challenged to change yourself. And that changes everything.
- Being happy and grateful doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.
- Your life will improve only when you take small chances, and the first and most difficult chance you can take is to be honest with yourself.
- It’s not what you say to everyone else that determines your life; it’s what you whisper to yourself that has the greatest power.
- Awareness is not just noticing what’s going on around you, but what’s going on within you as well. Keep your eyes open and your Self in mind.
- Be careful about who you give the microphone and stage to in your life, especially when times are tough. Don’t just listen to the loudest voice. Listen to the truest one.
- Don’t let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do your thing. Don’t let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big.
- You can’t base your ideas of success and happiness on other people’s opinions and expectations.
- Sometimes you need to distance yourself to see things clearly again.
- Don’t be scared to walk alone down the path less traveled, and don’t be scared to love every minute of it.
- Wherever your heart is – wherever your truth is – that’s where you will find your reason to smile.
- Don’t let not knowing how it’ll end keep you from beginning today. Uncertainty chases us out into the open where life’s true magic is waiting.
- You can’t be afraid to have certain conversations. It’s better to talk and find out, than to keep going and get nowhere. Communication is key.
- No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a peaceful way to live, and a beautiful legacy to leave behind.
- Changing the world doesn’t necessitate earth-shattering feats but rather, doing small things with great love. Think simple, not spectacular.
- Our days are always happier and more fulfilling when we give people around us a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.
- Don’t judge someone just because they’ve made different mistakes than you have.
- When you choose to see the good in others, you end up finding the good in yourself.
- Set an example. Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you – not because they are nice, but because you are.
- Be thankful for all the rude, obnoxious, and difficult people you meet in life. They serve as important reminders of how NOT to live.
- There are no permanent jobs on this planet. We are all interning here. Learn from everyone, remain humble, and don’t forget to have a good time.
- There’s no such thing as a self-made person. Someone else believed, encouraged and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.
- Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in your journey.
- Every day is a new beginning; treat it that way. Stop thinking about what could have been and start looking at what CAN be. (Marc and I discuss this in more detail in the “Passion and Growth” chapter of 1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently.)
- Right now it all starts over. The possibilities ahead are endless. Be strong enough to let go, wise enough to move forward, diligent enough to work hard, and patient enough to wait for what you’ve earned.
What’s one personal reminder or “mantra” that helps you keep life simple, peaceful and in perspective? Please share it with us by leaving a comment below.
Also, if you haven’t done so already, be sure to sign-up for our free newsletter to receive new articles like this in your inbox each week.
Photo by: Pan.
Angel and Marc, your words continue to help me find positivity in some very stressful recent times.
I read one of your emails, posts, or a page of your 1,000 Little Things book almost every day before I leave my home. Doing so keeps so many important principles in perspective and creates a kind of peace and awareness that somehow encourages me to face the day positively and productively. This really assists me a lot in getting back on track whenever life’s struggles pull me down. Also looking forward to attending your next live event in Houston.
Like Chelsea, I have many morning (and evening) quotes and mantras, dozens of which I have taken directly from your books, emails, and blog over the years.
One particular quote from your 1,000 Things book that I have had pasted to my bulletin board for a while now, and frequently repeat to myself:
“No matter how chaotic the past has been, the future is a clean, fresh, wide open slate. You are not your past habits. You are not your past failures. You are not how others have at one time treated you. You are only who you think you are right now in this moment. You are only what you do right now in this moment.”
Happy 2023 to all!
Cage Catchum says
Love it! Thank you for sharing.
My daily mantra from one of Marc’s comments at think better live better 2022…
“Choose to be miserable and you’ll find plenty of reasons to be miserable. Choose to be peaceful and you’ll find plenty of reasons to be at peace.”
Ain’t that the truth on most days? It sure is for me.
Thank you for another enlightening post and challenge, Angel. ANd I’m looking forward to using these quotes in the year ahead too.
I look for your posts everyday, and this one in particular is one of my favorites. I want to save it and read it over and over again. I’ve shared some of them with family and friends already. Thank you for making a difference Marc and Angel! And happy 2023.
” We make a living by what we get [earn]; we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill. My favorite quotation. Peace and hope for the upcoming year, from Elva 🙂
I collect quotes (I have several that I like– I do like many of yours here.) Two that I especially like are:
“It is never too late to make a new start.”
“Just take the next right step.”
Ken Main says
This too shall pass
Say what you mean, mean what you say and do what you say you’ll do when you say you’ll do it.
Thank you for your 52 great reminders
B Olus says
‘ Worrying or been anxious cannot change anything/ bad situation, it will only prevent you from enjoy today!!! Clear your mind off any negativities’
Thank you so much for all these 52 words of encouragement. Thank for always reminding us to be grateful in everything situation. I really appreciate all your emails and words of encouragement.
Happy New year to you and your family Marc and Angel.
Kym McMaster says
I’ve saved these quotes to my laptop so I can read them everyday
I find having a positive outlook at all times is a must & I try very hard not to have negative people around me. I find they don’t want to try being positive & that makes me feel very uncomfortable so I tend to avoid them if I possibly can.
My New Year’s resolution is to try something new when possible, you just never know if you will find a new hobby or find something you enjoy more than you thought.
I don’t usually make these resolutions but this year I thought i would
Marc & Angel, I love your spirit & generosity in sharing all good things for us to do & try
Thank you for sharing everything that you do with us
I hope everyone on this site have a safe, healthy & happy 2023
CANDY SERRA says
Marc & Angel
Your words have encouraged me to fight and look at things differently in my life and surroundings. There are so many words I use as a mantra but I am strong is the main word I listen your book Getting back to happy each night before bed and I wake up more content and grateful. I also have 1000+ little habits of successful relationships and 1000+ little things happy successful people do differently. I am inspired by all your writings and ways of looking at things differently. Thank you for your kinds words
Cage Catchum says
One path to peace of mind is to remember that people do not think about you as much as you think they do.
Richard A. Vaughan says
My dad was a WWII veteran and warrior and was part of the B-17 crew that was part of a mission ( The book ….Lucky 666: The Impossible Mission ) that has gone down in history as the most decorated crew in the history of the Air Force. My hero and inspiration and his favorite saying as things get tough.
IMPROVISE, ADAPT and OVERCOME
I love your emails.. the best things in my inbox and they assure me I’m on the right track.
I work outside on a mountain Zip Wire in Wales and at the moment the quote “some people feel the rain, others just get wet” is the one that’s seeing me through!