You aren’t wealthy until you have something money can’t buy.
– Garth Brooks
- A First Kiss from Someone Special – The sweet rush of butterflies in your tummy when you kiss someone special for the very first time.
- The Realization of True Love – The warm feeling you get many years after your first kiss when you realize you married the right person.
- Beauty – Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
- True Friendship – Through thick and thin, they stood by your side. They were there when you had nothing but them.
- Peace of Mind – It can only be acquired with an honest heart.
- Beginner’s Eyes – You’ll never see it again for the very first time.
- The Joy of Telling an Interesting True Story – One of the most enticing roles we lead in life is that of a storyteller. There are few things more satisfying than telling a true story that others enjoy listening to.
- Happiness – True happiness is achieved by doing what you love and being involved in something you believe in.
- Success – Success is simply excelling at doing what you love.
- A Single Moment of Time – Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Don’t miss it.
- A Baby’s Laughter – Babies don’t care about money. They care about kindness, love, and living in the moment.
- Surprise Encounters with Long-Lost Friends – You haven’t seen them in years, and you figured you’d probably never see them again. Then suddenly, there they are standing right in front of you.
- The Feeling of Self-Accomplishment – You set your sights on a specific goal and followed through until you achieved it. Now that’s something to celebrate.
- The Sound of Raindrops Outside – …as you snuggle up on the couch. Few sounds are more soothing.
- A Good, Genuine Conversation – Those moments of verbal bonding when the topic of conversation flows seamlessly and all parties involved gain as much as they put in.
- An Unexpected Compliment – It seems like just another dreary Monday afternoon, but then she walks into your office and says, “I love your shirt. That color looks great on you.”
- The Feeling You Get When Your Idea Works – You’ve been struggling to resolve a complex problem all day, but you just can’t seem to get it right. Filled with frustration, you decide to try one last idea before calling it a night. You’ve had many ideas before that failed miserably… but this time it works.
- Randomly Hearing Your Favorite Song – You’re stuck in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, so you crank on a radio station for a little distraction. The opening notes to your favorite song instantly chime in.
- Watching a Live Blooper Unfold in Front of You – As you walk alongside a friend, she trips over her own feet, wobbles erratically, regains her balance, and then tries to play it off like nothing happened. Hilarious!
- A Sunny Sunday Afternoon – The birds are chirping, a light breeze in blowing through your hair, and the sun’s rays are warming your cheeks.
- The Rush of Adolescent Love – Those magical moments of adolescent lust and affection that only you and one other person rightly remember.
- Being In The Right Place at The Right Time – You’re sitting in the nosebleed seats at a professional baseball game. The home team batter cranks a monstrous, game-winning home run. The ball bounces off another fan’s glove two seats in front of you and lands right in your lap.
- The Recollection of Great Childhood Memories – Do you remember the first time you learned to ride a bike? What about wrestling with your dad? Or climbing trees with your friends?
- Reminiscing About Old Times with Your Best Friend – Those crazy life experiences only the two of you lived through together. Like that wild 24 hour road trip to Atlanta, or that drunken night on the 3rd floor balcony of your college apartment.
- Passion – True wealth comes naturally to those who follow their hearts. You can’t pay someone to be emotionally passionate about something. Nor can you pay them to psychologically give-up on their passions.
- Objects of Sentimental Value – Old family photos, your great grandmother’s music box, that painting your baby brother made for you… some things are priceless.
- The Comfort of an Old Familiar Smell – You just pulled into your parent’s driveway after being away for a long while. You smell familiarity in the air, the scent of the pine tree in the neighbor’s yard. As you head through the front door, more familiar smells consume your senses. Gosh, it feels good to be home.
- The Hilarity of an Inside Joke – You’ll never get it unless you were there at its inception.
- Amazing Talents You Are Born With – Like the mind of a genius or the voice of an angel.
- The Excitement of Making Someone Else Smile – Because her smile makes you smile back.
- Exercising Your 5 Senses – Sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. Each provides a gateway to rewarding personal experiences.
- Sharing a Good Laugh with Friends and Family – Some of the most memorable moments in your life will be moments spent in laughter.
- The Warm Coziness of Your Own Bed – No bed is more comfortable than your own.
- Watching Wild Animals in Nature – Like a hawk gracefully soaring above the tree line, or a deer prancing across a grassy field.
- A Home – Money can buy a house, but not a home. Because home is where the heart is.
- Waking Up to the Smell of a Home Cooked Meal – You were still asleep, but someone special knew you’d be hungry soon.
- The Peaceful Sound of Absolute Silence – Shhhhh…
- Streams of Consciousness and Clarity – You’re ‘in the zone!’ Act while your mind is hot.
- The Sound of a Light Breeze Through the Trees – It’s the sound of Mother Nature all around you.
- The Captivating Experience of People Watching – The interesting (and sometimes foolish) things people do never ceases to please. You can’t buy this quality of entertainment.
- Watching the Sunrise and Sunset with Your Beloved – Make time for this. It’s worth it.
- The Sound and Sight of Ocean Waves – Another phenomenal act of Mother Nature.
- The ‘Pump’ After a Great Workout – You feel like you can conquer the world.
- The Blissful Act of Daydreaming – Just being… and thinking… and dreaming.
- When She Says “I Love You” – …and you know she means it because you can read the sincerity in her eyes.
- When an Unlikely Someone Remembers Your Birthday – A friend you haven’t seen in over a month calls you at 9AM on your birthday just to say “happy birthday.”
- Finding Something You Thought You’d Lost Forever – You searched for it for days and finally gave up. Now, six months later, it basically appears right in front of you.
- The Inspiration Behind Creative Works of Art – Every piece of art is priceless in the eyes of someone who can relate to it. The creative inspiration behind these works of art is no different.
- When Your Pet Snuggles Up Next to You – It’s just soooo cute.
- A Moment of Eye Contact with an Attractive Stranger – You’ve never seen them before, and you may never see them again. But a moment was shared.
- A Long Hug from a Loved One – Those deep, warm hugs you wish you could nestle in forever.
- Happily Singing at The Top of Your Lungs – Well… You know you make me wanna shout! Kick my heels up and shout! Throw my hands up and shout! Throw my head back and shout! Come on now… Shout!
- Seeing Your Breath on a Chilly Night – A simple phenomenon that has entertained children since the beginning of mankind.
- The Feeling of Acceptance – You’re now a part of something greater… and it feels good.
- Watching the Clouds Form Cool Shapes – Never the same show twice.
- Cuddling a Newborn Baby – Precious… simply precious.
- When You Know You Can Trust Someone – You can see it in their eyes and you can feel it in your heart. They have no ulterior motive.
- Sitting Around a Bonfire with Your Friends – One of the greatest settings for reminiscing and storytelling with those your care about.
- Seeing Two Elderly Folks Who are Madly in Love – It’s a sight of love that has surpassed the tests of time.
- The Beauty of a Moonlit Sky – Few simple pleasures are more satisfying than gazing up into a starry, moonlit sky.
- The Awesomeness of Skipping Rocks Across Water – It doesn’t matter how old you get, this one never gets old.
- Watching Lightning in the Distance – Peaceful and powerful at the same time.
- Slow Dancing in Your Living Room – Dancing is like dreaming with your feet. -Constanze
- Knowing She’ll Be There When You Get Back – Yes. There is stability in your life. And she’s a big part of it.
- Watching Her Sleep – Just being with her and breathing with her.
- The Colors of Fall – It’s Mother Nature’s artwork.
- People Who Make You Smile Just by Thinking of Them – Wherever I am, no matter what I’m doing, just thinking of her makes me smile.
- The Warm Touch of Your Beloved – It’s the touch no one else has.
- When You Realize People Are Reading What You Write – Words can’t explain it. Thank you.
- The Excitement of a New Comment on Your Blog – We love these. 😉
Can you think of anything else money can’t buy? Leave us a comment and let us know about it.
Additional Inspirational Reading Material and Sources:
- The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
- Excuses Begone! How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
- Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist
- The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.
Photo by: Mohammadali
Evelyn Lim says
I love this list!! Money certainly can’t buy happiness, joy and peace!
Thanks for the list Marc. I really enjoyed reading it. It’s a list we can be grateful for.
Thank you for sharing your gifts during our financial struggles and reminding us that the best things in life are free. Love your blog Brother!
Says all the things I have felt and discovered over the last 63 years
Tehseen | RechargeYourMind says
In short, money can’t buy peace of mind.
Danelle Ice (Homemaker Barbi) says
“Beginner’s Eyes – You’ll never see it again for the very first time. ” I love that – sounds very much like how my husband describes our toddler.
Danelle Ice /Homemaker Barbi
Thanks for this post. It was exactly what I needed to read, at exactly at the right time 🙂
Thank you for making my day better. This’s beautiful.
I happened upon this site, quite by accident. You have some great stuff here! I can tell I am going to enjoy reading your work.
I enjoyed this particular post! It makes you really smile and reflect on those simple things in life, that some forget.
So many awesome experiences to name, but one that I didn’t think other adults enjoyed too: breathing into the cold chilly air 🙂
My Things Money Can’t Buy
1) The feeling of finishing a painting
2) The feeling of serenity
3) The love of family
4) The love of my beloved when I am frightened
5) The knowledge that every mistake is forgiven.
6) The blessing of knowing good people are in the world.
Amit Sodha says
What a great topic for an article and superb list too! I love it! 😀
kim whitten says
Lovely list! so glad I tripped upon your site!
Awesome list! Reading this list was an awesome way to start off a Monday morning. Here’s the one thing I would add:
“Doing an activity that makes you feel like a kid again, such as wading through a creek or playing on a slip-n-slide!”
Amazing! Simply Amazing! Every article of yours I read touches a different part of my heart and gives me tips on how to better myself and that I can get from my ‘now’ to the person I want to be. Just like this one, it keeps me focused. Thank you, Thank you, Thank You, God Bless you immensely as you have blessed those who have been drawn to your words.
You will do great things, you have only begun.
These words make me want to breathe deeper,love more and smile bigger,thank you for keeping the eye on the prize….”the true,worthy meanings to living free…!” Keep UM” coming…
Best words I’ve read all week. Thank you for the thoughts.
A very, very enjoyable read. And I hope the excitement lasts until the next comment!
ekcho in a Red room says
Wonderful post! Really made me smile when I needed it. I have totally lost hope the last few days and this list helped me remember the beauty of simple things…. I hope that my comment would also help someone else smile… One of the last beautiful things that happened to me was this summer when I spend the whole night with my loveone on the beach gazing at the stars and listening to the waves. I would give anything to go back there and live it again….
Yee Shun Jian | RichGrad.com says
Wow awesome list! Stumbling it…
it’s very inspiring
i love your blogs. im 17 and i realised most of it is true. its inspirational n it opens my eyes.some of it, i knew. but seeing someone write what i always think is awesome! keep up! love your blogs!
Great list. Put a smile on my face.
This made me happy =)
My favorite one is The Sound of Raindrops Outside =)
This actually made me cry, knowing that I wouldn’t feel one or two of these ever again.
One of my favorites was the Sunday afternoon. . . and the fall colors. And just being and breathing with someone, thinking of him and smiling. . .
Thank you. For all of your writing on this site. It’s been truly inspirational.
Another reader, commenting. Love the blog. Saw a different article on a friend’s twitter, ended up stumbling along your whole site. So many good articles, thank you.
sam cooper says
These Lists are Amazing! nowadays, people are too occupied with earning money, although ofcourse it is important. But When you really go beyond everything superficial and tangible….You will realize that You are richer than anybody else. I’ve known people who have so much money, but they are always looking for something more, and they’re not happy and fulfilled with life. There are alot of things to appreciate and be thankful for. You just have to find reasons to make your life worth beyond what money can buy.
The quotation really strucked me
“You aren’t wealthy until you have something money can’t buy.”
– Garth Brooks
Thanks for this inspiring blog!
I’d like to add one point to it,
“The feeling of working on Fridays, keeping in mind about the weekend ahead.”
And, Thanks for this wonderful insights!!!
I love skipping rocks!
This list almost made me cry from thinking how beautiful life is. Thank you
I love reading your beautiful, thoughtful, and wonderful articles =). Keep up the good work you do for many readers and writers! Maybe, one day in the near future we could meet and have a conversation regarding the adventures of life.
Beautiful – You’re remembered through the things you share with the world – clearly you won’t be forgotten – all the best for 2011.
My addition would be:
The sound of wings – from a skein of swans – close overhead.
Ida Marie says
it is so beautiful. so true.
this blog really makes you open up your eyes for whats important in life. thank you.
I absolutely LOVE this! and all of your other posts. I’m addicted to your website.
Beautiful post [:)]
Stumbling upon this post was another of those wonderful things money could not have bought !!
Nasir Ashraf says
So inspirational… really great. Thanks.
I absolutely agree with this. 😉 these things are truly priceless.
Lis B. says
The sheer joy of going for a walk with a young child on a rainy day and jumping in puddles!
Thank you for this article. I need it so much. Nowadays too few people can think like what you have written. Only priceless people can do it, people who can’t be buy just by some money.
What a great list!! It totally made me smile 🙂
Wendy Hinman says
I love your posts. They inspire me every time I see them. Thanks for posting such positive encouraging messages.
These are so true. These two are especially relevant to me right now, since I just published a book about my seven year adventure:
“The Joy of Telling an Interesting True Story – One of the most enticing roles we lead in life is that of a storyteller. There are few things more satisfying than telling a true story that others enjoy listening to.”
“The Feeling of Self-Accomplishment – You set your sights on a specific goal and followed through until you achieved it. Now that’s something to celebrate.”
Thanks again for your inspiration.
What money can’t buy …. reading a good post like this.
I’ve just read you writings. Thank you. Even though I had overcome a rough experience, it makes me realize there is a lot to be thank for. Just remembering a hilarious moment I had long ago, it still can make me laugh. Walking through the snowfall, it’s beautiful indeed. Having love from my family and genuine conversation with them, it’s priceless. Seeing every effort I have made it’s fruitful, it’s success to me. I thank God for every bless given to me which is countless.
This post is absolutely beautiful. I smiled with each bullet (and exclaimed “YES!” to some of them) remembering the times I had a certain experience, and envisioning experiencing a few in the future : ) Thank You!
Jon S says
Thank you for your words. They have helped me this morning, to get up and face the day ahead. 🙂
As always, beautifully written! Smiled all the way through.