8 Simple Steps for Achieving Anything

8 Basic Steps for Achieving Anything

What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.
– JW von Goethe

Yes, your goals are within reach.  In fact, achieving them is a simple process.  It just requires commitment and action on your behalf.

1. Set your sights on a clear goal – What is it specifically that you want to achieve?  Write it down if you have to.
  2. Focus on one thing at a time and pick the next logical task – Ask yourself, “What can I do right now that will bring me one step closer to my desired goal?”
  3. Educate yourself – What knowledge and skills are required to complete the task you chose in step #2?  Keep it simple.  Everything else can be learned along the way.
  4. Start now – Why haven’t you started?  START!!!
  5. Say “NO” to distractions – Is the phone ringing?  Door knocking?  Dog barking?  Unless the house is burning to the ground, IGNORE IT ALL!!!
  6. Review and adjust – Are you making progress?  If yes, see the next step.  If not, why not?  Are there any small adjustments you need to make?
  7. Press on until the task is complete – Revisit steps #5 and #6 as required.
  8. Repeat – Once the task you chose in step #2 is complete, it’s time to repeat all the steps for the next logical task.  Revisit your goal in step #1 so it’s fresh in your mind, choose the next logical task, educate yourself as necessary, etc.

Note:  For complex, long-term goals, I tackle one simple task every day.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I highly recommend these best selling productivity books:

Photo by: Zach Ancell

Comments

1. Brain Stroom says

thx, totally agree with ur above short & direct list, i found that working on # 1 & 5 & 7 is extremely useful and maybe where people constantly not successes in.

best luck 😉

It’s great to keep things as simple as possible while working on goals. Also, I have found it helpful to limit the number of goals I am working on, so that I don’t get too scattered. That’s why I’m in favor of just working on one thing daily that will get me closer to accomplishing the big picture goal.

Some great tips here!

I am always working on way more than one goal at any given time. My problem sometimes comes when I need to focus. Because I am so ambitious, I have so many goals I want to achieve, how do I ensure I give enough energy to each?

What has been working best for me is this… 1 goal at a time per life category. For example, 1 goal for business, 1 goal for personal finances, 1 goal for health/fitness and 1 goal for my family life.

It lets me have goals in all areas of life without getting too bogged down. I do like your 8 steps though…it helps with the whole focus side of it!

My favorites are “start now” and “focus on the next step.” We spend so much time worrying about the potential speedbump 10 miles down the road that we often never even start the car for the trip.

My favorite motto: “Done is better than perfect.”

Thanks for the added insight and kind remarks, everyone.

This is my personal step-by-step game plan for tackling goals. When I stay dedicated to the cause, it works every time.

😉

Sometimes it really is about breaking things down and keeping them simple. We can sometimes allow things we are trying to accomplish seem much bigger than they are, but when you think about it and put it in perspective, it often comes down to taking certain steps. I thought your list of 8 was very helpful.

I like the simple list. I think distractions are the hardest part for me. There are always so many options and so many things fighting for your time. Staying focused is hard but rewarding.

Mind if I add this to my blog carnival (obsessedanalytic.com/carnival/)? Eventually I hope to get a lot of submissions, but since it’s new I’m doing the work by going around and finding the best time saving blogs.

Thanks!

Succinct and valuable. Thanks, Marc!

Focusing on that “one thing” is SO important. Now, if I can just say ‘no’ to the [welcome] distraction of your blog, and get to that one thing . . .

Action is the best cure for fear. All you have to do is act and your desires are ours. Fear is the reason mankind has not evolved beyond it perceived weak and feeble minded agendas. Remove fear and you remove all obstacles which keep you from your own personal nirvana. Don’t you wonder why Hippies, where the most loved? The feared nothing, carefree and peace. What government system want people who wont follow their rules…UMMMM

Great post!

This is a great list of steps. The one I probably have to focus on the most is Start NOW. Sometimes over-thinking things can just be a deterrent and it’s best to get the ball rolling even if you have to make adjustments along the way. Also agree with “zmajeva”, drive behind all these steps is extremely important. Thanks Marc and Angel :)