What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.
– JW von Goethe
Yes, your goals are within reach. In fact, achieving them is a simple process. It just requires commitment and action on your behalf.
- Set your sights on a clear goal – What is it specifically that you want to achieve? Write it down if you have to.
- Focus on one thing at a time and pick the next logical task – Ask yourself, “What can I do right now that will bring me one step closer to my desired goal?”
- Educate yourself – What knowledge and skills are required to complete the task you chose in step #2? Keep it simple. Everything else can be learned along the way.
- Start now – Why haven’t you started? START!!!
- Say “NO” to distractions – Is the phone ringing? Door knocking? Dog barking? Unless the house is burning to the ground, IGNORE IT ALL!!!
- Review and adjust – Are you making progress? If yes, see the next step. If not, why not? Are there any small adjustments you need to make?
- Press on until the task is complete – Revisit steps #5 and #6 as required.
- Repeat – Once the task you chose in step #2 is complete, it’s time to repeat all the steps for the next logical task. Revisit your goal in step #1 so it’s fresh in your mind, choose the next logical task, educate yourself as necessary, etc.
Note: For complex, long-term goals, I tackle one simple task every day. Nothing more, nothing less.
Also, I highly recommend these best selling productivity books:
- Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
- Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
Photo by: Zach Ancell