What Perfect Is

What Perfect Is

Do perfect men have big muscles?  Do perfect women have big breasts?  Do perfect couples have lots of children?  Do perfect husbands earn upwards of $100K a year?  Do perfect wives cook delicious meals?

Do perfect people have lots of friends?  Do perfect people have loads of life experience?  Do perfect people ever fail?

Yeah!  You bet they do!  All of this and soooooo much more…

Perfect men are scrawny.  Perfect men struggle with obesity.  Perfect men can barely do one pull-up.  Perfect men have bad backs that prevent them from lifting heavy objects.  Perfect men were only born with one arm.

Perfect women have tiny breasts.  Perfect women have fake breasts.  Perfect women have breast reductions.  Perfect women haven’t finished growing their breasts yet.  Perfect women have lost both breasts to cancer.

Perfect couples have one child.  Perfect couples have ten children.  Perfect couples adopt because, medically, they can’t have their own children.  Perfect couples adopt even when they can have their own.  Perfect couples never have children because they don’t want them.

Perfect husbands are stay-at-home dads.  Perfect husbands own multi-million dollar businesses.  Perfect husbands are migrant farmers.  Perfect husbands switch careers in their mid-50’s.  Perfect husbands have no idea what they want to do for a living.

Perfect wives don’t cook because they’re too tired when they get home from work.  Perfect wives only know how to cook Italian food.  Perfect wives hate cooking even though they’re good at it.  Perfect wives are chefs at fancy restaurants.  Perfect wives make Ramen Noodles.

Perfect people are introverts with two close friends.  Perfect people are extroverts with five hundred Facebook friends they communicate with regularly.  Perfect people hangout with their marching band friends.  Perfect people have famous friends.  Perfect people have a best friend with four legs.

Perfect people have traveled and lived all over the world.  Perfect people have yet to explore beyond their hometown in rural Montana.  Perfect people still live at home with their parents.  Perfect people are happy where they are.  Perfect people haven’t figured out how to get to where they want to go.

Perfect people fail a hundred times and lose hope.  Perfect people succeed on their very first attempt.  Perfect people don’t like to admit when they fail.  Perfect people see failure as an opportunity for growth.  Perfect people never fail because they never stretch themselves beyond their comfort zones.

Perfect people have scars on their faces and perfect complexions.  Perfect people have long brown hair at 60 and short grey hair at 35.  Perfect people wear wigs.  Perfect people have sex with men, women, both or none at all.  Perfect people can barely see over the grocery store counter and sometimes bump their heads at the top of doorways.  Perfect people have waistlines that are infinite in size and geometry.  Perfect people have skin tones as light as vanilla ice-cream and as rich dark chocolate.

Perfect people come from every corner of this beautiful planet and can be seen everywhere – even in the mirror.

Yeah!  That’s right!

Perfect is the way we are born.  Perfect is the way we are now.  Perfect is exclusively unique.

We are what perfect is.

Photo by: Movimente

Comments

That all makes perfect sense. How boring life would be if we were perfect in every sense. I guess it would make the perfectionists happy or maybe not because there would be nothing to fix.
    Nice reminder of our imperfections.

No one is perfect… that’s why pencils have erasers. Anon

Amen!

I overcame my perfectionism many years ago by concluding that since human life is all about growing and changing, a perfect person is a person who is growing. Since growing requires mistakes and compromises, perfection requires mistakes and compromises.

I hope you are using the word “perfect” as a figure of speech. The truth of the matter is no one is perfect. Perfect is boring.

Let us rejoice in our imperfections. Let us celebrate our imperfections. For, imperfect is what we are.

People should be taught never to pursue perfection – only excellence. People should accept that we are imperfect. Imperfect is interesting, EXCITING!!!

Let us remove from our minds perfection is good. No, imperfection is good. It is through imperfection that we become better. There is nothing more to be better in perfection. It is the journey (becoming better), not the destination that makes life exciting.

Marc,
    Love the vision this spreads out into the world!! It doesn’t have to be about how we compare to others…it’s who we truly are, each one of us, that matters…

And that is perfection…

So thought provoking.

I heard someone say, ‘There’s no such thing as a perfect partner, just perfect for me.’

I’d love to know what inspired this post…

I’ll be passing it on. It’s too compelling to be left where it is…

6. 13 says

This post is so true in every sense. I think it relates to Einstein’s famous quote, “God does not play with dice”. Everything is perfect in their own.

😀

7. Tracy says

This post is so beautiful. I’m going to print it out a read it over and over until it becomes part of my vocabulary.

8. dee says

Perfect people like every post written by other perfect people, but realize there is a like button several months later. :)

The sooner people realize the truth in your post, the happier they’ll be.

I am perfect right now. …and so. are. you! :)

My thanks for the reminder.

Best, M.

I applaud you for this post Marc. It has long needed to be said and celebrated and you have done it. In a world of aesthetic and achievement based perfectionism your words raise a flag for perfection as our own intrinsic nature that requires no surgery, big bank balance or standard of measurement. Perfection is the uniqueness that everyone is by just being themselves. One of the finest posts I have ever had the honor of reading. Your honesty shines through and I thank you.

Great article! Reminds me of a quote: “Perfect people don’t have the best of everything, they make the best of everything they have.” angelasullivan.com

12. Gautam Khanna says

Probably the most inspiring article I have ever read and surely the best possible. I totally loved each single line of it. I really loved this article. I am totally out of words for it.

13. Tom Downs says

Why am I ‘perfect’?

I could have 500 friends on Facebook by now, but I don’t. Why? Because the 6 people on my friends list are 6 of my closest friends, I respect them, accept them for who they are and they do likewise. I’d rather have 6 close friends than 500 people I hardly know.

That is why I’m ‘perfect’.