post written by: Marc Chernoff
10 Powerful Things to Put on Your To-Do List Today
Yesterday is a canceled check, tomorrow is a promissory note, and today is the only cash you have, so spend it wisely.
One of the secrets of getting to where you want to go in life is making a simple TO DO list every day, keeping it visible, and using it as a guide to action as you go through your day.
So here’s one you can use today and every day going forward:
- Give yourself some “me time.” – Yes, you had battles to fight, insecurities to overcome, loved ones to contend with, and goals to achieve. But a break from it all is necessary. It’s perfectly healthy to pause and let the world spin without you for awhile. It’s good for you to spend time alone. It gives you an opportunity to discover who you really are, and to figure out why you truly are always alone. Read A New Earth.
- Meditate on your own inner voice. – Some people will kill you over time if you let them; and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases like, “be realistic.” When this happens, close your ears and listen to your inner voice instead. Remember that real success in life isn’t what others see, but how you feel. It’s living your truth and doing what makes you feel alive.
- Celebrate your efforts, not your outcomes. – Failure keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only faith and determination keeps you going. So stay focused, and celebrate your efforts, not your outcomes. Challenges are what make life interesting, overcoming them is what gives life meaning. Remember that the opposite of failing is not succeeding; the opposite of failing is trying.
- Mind your reactions. – If you can change your mind, you can change your life. You have a train of thought on which you ride when you are alone and quietly thinking. The worth of your life to yourself and others, as well as the happiness it brings, depends upon the direction in which this train is moving, the baggage it carries, and the emotional space through which it travels. Between life’s stimulus and your reaction is where this space exists; within it is your power to choose how you react, and in your reaction lies your growth, freedom, and happiness.
- Exercise your positivity. – You deserve a day in which worries don’t get in the way of your happiness. A day where, even if some people are insensitive or unkind, you’re not going to mind because you realize that the blessings you received are far greater than the burdens you once experienced. You can create a day like this for yourself. There is power in positivity. Read The How of Happiness.
- Focus on the next logical step forward. – There are no hopeless situations; there are only people who have grown hopeless about them. So keep your hope alive. Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energy moving forward toward a solution. If you take full responsibility for yourself and your current situation, you will develop a hunger to accomplish your dreams, and you will discover a way to get there.
- Practice genuine kindness. – The best choice you can make is to be genuinely respectful and authentically kind. Though your kindness will not always be returned, it will certainly be noticed. And even when it’s not fully appreciated by others, your kindness will always inject more positive value into your own life. What you give comes back to you in ways that are impossible to predict. So give your kindness as often as you can, and enjoy the more positive world you are helping to create.
- Express your appreciation to those who have earned it. – You develop three kinds of friendships in life: friends for a reason, friends for a season, and friends for a lifetime. Take note of who these ‘lifetime friends’ are and never overlook their worth. Just because they are reliable and there when you need them, doesn’t mean you should fail to give thanks and appreciation on a regular basis. To value someone too lightly is to risk missing their goodness before they’re gone.
- Be grateful for all the blessings you already have. – We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. What if you gave someone a gift and they neglected to thank you for it? Would you be likely to give them another one? The daily events in your life respond the same way. In order to attract more of the blessings that life has to offer, you must be grateful for what you already have. Read The Happiness Project.
- Enjoy yourself. – In between all your goals, priorities, obligations, and everything else that might appear on one of your upcoming to-do lists, there are moments called ‘life’ that still have to be lived and enjoyed. The trick is to make the best of each moment, and value it for what it’s worth. In other words, don’t wish all your time away by waiting for better times ahead. Smile, right now, because you can.
Photo by: Courtney Dirks