If you want to fly and move on to better things, you have to give up the things that weigh you down – which is not always as obvious and easy as it sounds.
Starting today, give up…
- Letting the opinions of others control your life. – People know your name, not your story. They’ve heard what you’ve done, but not what you’ve been through. So take their opinions of you with a grain of salt. In the end, it’s not what others think, it’s what you think about yourself that counts. Sometimes you have to do exactly what’s best for you and your life, not what’s best for everyone else.
- The shame of past failures. – You will fail sometimes, and that’s okay. The faster you accept this, the faster you can get on with being brilliant. Your past does not equal your future. Just because you failed yesterday; or all day today; or a moment ago; or for the last six months; or for the last sixteen years, doesn’t have any impact on the current moment. All that matters is what you do right now. Read Awaken the Giant Within.
- Being indecisive about what you want. – You will never leave where you are until you decide where you would rather be. It’s all about finding and pursuing your passion. Neglecting passion blocks creative flow. When you’re passionate, you’re energized. Likewise, when you lack passion, your energy is low and unproductive. Energy is everything when it comes to being successful. Make a decision to figure out what you want, and then pursue it passionately.
- Procrastinating on the goals that matter to you. – There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them. Follow your intuition. Don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. When there is love and inspiration, you can’t go wrong. And whatever it is you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows. Trust me, in a year from now, you will wish you had started today.
- Choosing to do nothing. – You don’t get to choose how you are going to die, or when. You can only decide how you are going to live, right now. Every day is a new chance to choose. Choose to change your perspective. Choose to flip the switch in your mind from negative to positive. Choose to turn on the light and stop fretting about with insecurity and doubt. Choose to do work that you are proud of. Choose to see the best in others, and to show your best to others. Choose to truly LIVE, right now.
- Your need to be right. – If you keep on saying you’re right, even if you are right now, eventually you will be wrong. Aim for success, but never give up your right to be wrong. Because when you do, you will also lose your ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. Read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
- Running from problems that should be fixed. – We make life harder than it has to be. The difficulties started when… conversations became texting, feelings became subliminal, sex became a game, the word ‘love’ fell out of context, trust faded as honesty waned, insecurities became a way of living, jealously became a habit, being hurt started to feel natural, and running away from it all became our solution. Stop running! Face these issues, fix the problems, communicate, appreciate, forgive and LOVE the people in your life who deserve it.
- Making excuses rather than decisions. – Life is a continuous exercise in creative problem solving. A mistake doesn’t become a failure until you refuse to correct it. Thus, most long-term failures are the outcome of people who make excuses instead of decisions.
- Overlooking the positive points in your life. – What you see often depends entirely on what you’re looking for. Do your best and surrender the rest. When you stay stuck in regret of the life you think you should have had, you end up missing the beauty of what you do have. You will have a hard time ever being happy if you aren’t thankful for the good things in your life right now. Read The Happiness Project.
- Not appreciating the present moment. – We do not remember days, we remember moments. Too often we try to accomplish something big without realizing that the greatest part of life is made up of the little things. Live authentically and cherish each precious moment of your journey. Because when you finally arrive at your desired destination, I guarantee you, another journey will begin.
Photo by: Luz Adriana
My first time to your site and it won’t be the last. Thanks for your article its exactly what i needed to read and hear. I’m going to print this list and put it on my fridge. Thanks
Bless you so much for this good advice. I love it, and you.
Just want to say that I’ve had a miserable past few years and it’s still really bad but I stay focused on my goals and am willing to turn it all around. I’ve failed so many times but I’m willing to put it all on the line to change my life and follow my dreams. You should know that its never easy but you can do it. It takes a combination of many small steps just to finally see any result. Stay up, stay positive, wake up with a smile and love those who you have relationships with….much love
I LOVE THOSE REALITIES.
Thank you so much guys, these word are awesome.
Definitely what I needed to hear today. Thanks.
Thank you guys, I was looking for something to kick my family reunion start and this is it. Thanks.
Louis Brown says
This is the truth, the whole truth and by the way…It ain’t nuttin but the wholesome truth.
I am completely messed up right now. But the things written here are absolutely correct, I just need to focus on things that matters most rather than being devoured by negative thoughts.
Cierra Walters says
This post really touched my heart today.
Susan Glenn Sheby says
Loved these “life tips”. I believe in these and think I live them, but when find yourself in a rut and see your life “code” in print a little different, maybe simply because it is when you can get a different view or the words are not in the same order, or it is simply the first time for the new year and its contents, anyway Thank You so very much for your “blog” on how to move forward, for me; Divine intervention… Amen.
Wow! This article tells it like it is…. So true and found at a time when it was much needed. Here’s to happy times x
Marc and Angel, you have no idea how this article moved me today. You know my name, but you don’t know my story. Yet, you continue sharing something worth reading to the world and touched many others like me, who googled ”How to Move On With Life”. I can’t move on without saying my gratitude, ”Thank you so much!”.
“Yes I can…” is my mindset from now on…
I love this! Just what I needed to move on with my life. Thanks so much!
This is really inspiring!! Thank you so much!!