“Happiness, not in another place but this place…
not for another hour, but this hour.”
All around the world, the present moment is filled with beauty.
If you are attentive, you will see it. If you are willing, you will help create it.
Let’s take a moment to think about the beautiful things happening around us.
Right now, at this exact moment…
- A newborn infant just took her first breath.
- Two teenage romantics just received their very first kiss, from each other.
- Someone is driving their car with the windows down and singing to their favorite song at the top of their lungs.
- Volunteers in different cities are actively assisting and standing up for the powerless, the homeless, and the neglected who need someone to speak up for them.
- Someone is in the middle of complimenting a stranger who desperately needed a reason to smile.
- Two coworkers are cracking each other up and laughing so hard they aren’t even making any noise.
- A high school guidance counselor is contributing her time, encouragement, and a listening ear to help a student realize his passion and ability.
- People near and far are holding hands with the person they love.
- A husband and wife who were drowning in debt ten years ago proudly hold a balance of zero on all their lines of credit.
- Someone is going above and beyond and doing a little extra work to make someone else’s life a little easier.
- People from all over the world are online at crowdfunding sites like GoFundMe pledging online donations to help strangers in need.
- Responsible designated drivers are getting their friends home safely.
- A student tutor is volunteering her time to help a fellow student learn.
- Someone who has struggled with their weight for years is looking down at the scale, smiling.
- A long-term alcoholic just celebrated exactly one full year of sobriety.
- Somewhere someone is admiring a breathtaking sunrise, and somewhere else a surreal sunset.
- A friend is helping a friend rise above feelings of depression and suicide.
- Someone is holding the door open for the person behind them.
- A Good Samaritan is pulled over on the side of the road assisting a stranger who’s having car trouble.
- Someone is celebrating the fact that they just broke their own personal best record.
- An active duty military member stationed overseas just received an email from a loved one.
- Hundreds of people are spending a few clicks of their time online at Free Rice.
- Someone just accidentally overheard someone else say something nice about them.
- An emergency room surgeon just saved her patient’s life.
- Two best friends are hugging each other after being apart for a while.
- Honest people are working tirelessly at various government agencies to help protect the basic human rights and civil liberties of their fellow citizens.
- Someone who suffered from a severe injury a while back is back on their feet.
- Several of the world’s next great inventors, artists and entrepreneurs are working diligently on perfecting their breakthrough ideas and crafts.
- Someone is sitting quietly and smiling about the fact that there’s nowhere else in the world they would rather be right now.
- Somewhere on the Internet someone is writing an encouraging comment on a blog post that will make others smile. 🙂
There truly is beauty to be seen in every imaginable direction if you are willing to see it and help create it. (Read 1,000 Little Things.)
In your eyes, what makes this moment beautiful? Please let us know by leaving a comment below.
Photo by: Eduardo Amorim
Fragrant Liar says
Someone is connecting up with people rather than lamenting her loneliness.
So many deeds done today are done for the wrong reasons, it is a refreshing ray of hope to be reminded that there are still good people doing good deeds for the sake of humanity and not for some alternative motivation.
I am happy right now because I love someone who loves me back. I’m IN LOVE and it’s the best feeling in the world!
Thank you! Just beautiful. I think of all the children right now who are looking at their parent/s with utter love and awe – that gorgeous look that only little people can give!
What makes this moment beautiful is feeling the warm hand of my 4 year old around my neck as he drifts off to sleep peacefully, while I sit next to his bed reading these inspiring words that make me grateful to have found this site!
Reading this post after being rejected few hours ago by my dream girlfriend.
Truly what makes this moment beautiful is that I’m read this blog almost every day and your stories truly inspire me; they are really amazing. And wow! Today’s post is very anointing and motivating. Blessings.
Thank you for such a wonderful article. Makes me feel grateful for all that I have right now. The most beautiful thing happening now is I’m able to get off work on time as compared to a lot of people whom I know needed to work late into the night.
I loved this, just what I needed to read after receiving a bad exam result. So far I’ve donated 500 grains of rice and I’ll continue doing that. It’s fun to do and I’m actually learning things as English is not my first language! 🙂
Thanks for posting this! 🙂
Somewhere, teachers are teaching students something new that will change their lives forever.
After knowing I would be alone the rest of my life, I found the greatest love imaginable at age 43. Just before reading this article, my fiance called to share he booked an amazing 16-day honeymoon in Bora Bora. Thanks for reminding us that miracles happen every day and life jumps in to surprise us regardless of what we have planned.
Spending my first trip Europe with my sister. Love her more than my own life!!!
31. Someone is savouring a inspirational read on this blog!
I’m smiling right now because I’m almost at the point of being able to accept my past and the lessons it has taught me, rather than dwelling on it and letting it cloud my today…
Oh my god! The universe is uncanny! I just was talking to a teenage patient of mine who is leaving the hospital and she gave me a orange tissue flower she had made in thanks for the family work we did that has bought her closer to her mom. I was just thinking about how thankful I feel when I opened this post!
In this moment, I’m thankful to be able to help someone, and to be able to feel vulnerability, both mine and my amazing patients…
Rock on Angel!
Each act of kindness generates love and warmth towards fellow beings and bestows a smile upon the recipient spreading happiness upon this earth.
This moment is beautiful because my son is at school learning diligently which will bring him prosperity in his future and he is trusting me to raise him and be his mom. That makes me feel like I am doing a great job and I am a great mom!! All you mom’s who are struggling with doubt, know that you are doing a fine job;)
When you become self-less for your loved ones 🙂
Refreshing post… bursts out beautiful emotions of humanity!
…holding on to my daughter, enjoying each others warmth on a cold rainy day 🙂
In this moment I am reading something POSITIVE.
Thank you for reminding us of these small but beautiful moments in life.
Blessings! Spread Love!
One bad thing after another has happened to me this past year. A week ago today I found out what I thought was the most horrible thing in the world. I’ve felt sick and wanted to die for a week. Then today I woke up, the sun was shining! Nothing out of the ordinary happened today, I just suddenly realised that I control my happiness. I was overwhelmed with positive thoughts for the summer – it IS going to be my best one yet. I have spent the evening listening to all my favourite music, singing along with a big smile on my face. NOTHING will bring me down unless I let it. And I refuse to!
My favourite on this list is that someone is driving in their car with the windows down singing along to their favourite song at the top of their voice!
Be the change you wish to see in the world
Peace and love to all xxx
I know its hard to smile always, but just a good read like this article of yours brought a smile to my face.
I just started reading your blog yesterday and am already a big fan!
Keep up the good work.
I can add one more beautiful thing to the list :
Someone somewhere is dancing like no is watching.
Ursula King says
To Katrina April 5 6.36 am. I hear your sadness. Life doesn’t always go right for us even if we do the right things. Start your day on a positive note. Find your favourite happy song mine is “I gotta Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas, play it loud and SMILE! I swear that even if you do not feel like smiling that even after forcing yourself to – you do feel better. Don’t watch the news. Stop sad thoughts in their tracks. Get dressed every day and get outside. Say “Hi.” and smile at people. Katrina always remember that you are not on your own. People would love to help you. All you have got to do is ask. Good luck.
Love love love this post! <3
Thank you ALL for sharing your thoughts it brought smiles and its made me feel so much better to know that we can really change how we feel by focusing on what’s good . Today when I was going out my daughter’s eyes followed me lovingly . Priceless.
Awww….thanks a ton Angel!!!! you just spread a smile on my face 🙂 Esp this one “30. Somewhere on the Internet someone is writing an encouraging comment on a blog post that will make others smile.” Darn cute 🙂
One who loves says
Thank you so much for this post, it made me smile!
To all the people in the world, I might not know you, but I truly love you all!
Together we can all make this a better place for everyone 🙂
31. Somewhere on the front line a soldier has refused to carry out his orders by not shooting a fellow human being and deliberately missing his shot.
Thank you for this moment of inspiration. It is similar to my own thoughts often… whenever I feel down or uninspired, I think about a cafe in Paris and the beauty of someone sitting quietly, sipping a cup of coffee. It makes me feel bigger than myself, to think of all the amazing things that are going on at this very moment.
In this moment two lovers got married and that active duty soldier just came home to his family. What a beautiful moment.
Right now, someone some where read this article and decided not to dwell on what saddens them in the past or what worries them in the future but to live the moment, right here, right now. 🙂
While reading this post, I felt tears running down my cheeks…
Beautiful things for me, born totally blind and never having had sight include, but are not limited to:
1. The feel of my cat’s glossy, soft fur–fur so glossy you can feel its pin-shininess under your fingertips.
2. The sound of my cat’s purr.
3. The flapping of his wing-like ears feels light and furry on my hand, and makes a variety of sounds you wouldn’t think fur would make: thapps, flaps, even snaps, brought on by the angle of the ear flap as it comes down through the air to touch your hand, how hard the soft thing lands on your hand, and rules of aerodynamics and acoustics I do not know. His thin flaps are something neat to hear.
4. Braille. Nothing like a fragrant, old Braille book.
5. Being able to connect with others through computer.
6. Movies, TV shows, books I like available for my iPhone or computer.
6. Friends who are disabled like me, who understand what the realities of being disabled, even in this modern century, really are.
7. The love of God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit.
Barbara Pickett says
I couldn’t fall asleep earlier tonight, but eventually I will fall asleep.